Saturday, January 29, 2011

Beet It!




Oh, lucky readers! A double post this fine day! Aren't I ambitious? (Actually, since I haven't really posted anything for a week-ish, that would be a negative on the ambition, Ghostrider.)
So, somewhere I read or heard about beet brownies and I was all "Barf!" because beets? Barf. (Not that I have ever tasted a beet but still, barf. They are a super pretty shade of red, though, so they have that going for them.) But, since I'm all about trying to incorporate the healthy into my snackedy snacks and baked goods, I thought, "Why not?" If I don't like them, I can always toss them in the trash or feign being a good neighbor and give them to the neighbor whose dog leaves its own treats of the butt chocolate variety in my yard.
So off I went in search of a beet brownie recipe. Wow, why do so many of these recipes call for a gazillion eggs? Search, search, searchedy search. And then I digressed, because that is what I do. I happened upon some nutriotional facts about beets. You can read up on them here: http/www.hubpages.com/hub/Health_Benfits_of_Red_Beets
Holy Healthy, Batman! Beets are a healthy powerhouse!
Anyhow, I digressed and then got back on track and found a recipe for Beet Brownies. As I do with almost everything, I altered the recipe I found. I added extra vanilla (I add extra vanilla to evvvverything), cinnamon, cayenne pepper, extra cocoa powder and did not use quite as much pudding mix (I didn't have the larger size on hand, so I just used the smaller box that was in my pantry and crossed my fingers it wouldn't mess up the recipe.) This is the recipe I used/altered: www.food.com/recipe/beet-brownies-151739
These smelled super scrumptious as they were baking and when I took them out of the oven, they were not brownie-like at all, but definitely cake-like, but who cares, because they are total Nomsville, like a super moist cake. I can't wait to share them with family, friends and neighbors.
They only thing I do not like about this recipe is the crazy amount of vegetable oil it calls for. 1 cup? Geez. So, next time, I will tinker even more with the recipe and reduce the oil and maybe add some applesauce in lieu of it.
BTW, I don't know what a beet tastes like, but I am pretty certain these haven't a trace of beet flavor to them, as they are a yummy chocolatey-spicy-cinnamon flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment