Thursday, January 6, 2011

Brownies...with avocado.
















Yeah, you heard that right. Brownies made using avocados. With the new year comes my resolution to eat healthier foods and I'm not even gonna lie; I hate veggies. LOATHE them, so any way I can incorporate them into my diet, I will. And while avocados are fruits and not veggies, they're green and soooo not fruity tasting to me ( I love most fruit) so I have taken it upon myself to consider them an icky veggie. So I poked around the internet for some avocado dessert recipes and I wasn't really coming up with anything until I happened upon this Mayan Mudslide Brownie recipe I found at Sugar Plum blog. (http://www.visionsofsugarplum.com/)
I made the recipe this cold and snowy afternoon and let me tell you, the batter tastes incredible! They are in the oven right this very moment baking (and smelling scrumptious!) and I will report back to you on how they taste and what my friends and family think of them. And while obviously masking avocados with chocolate isn't the heathiest way to eat them, but it IS getting me to eat them, which is a step in the right direction. And I will never give up brownies, so why not try to healthy them up??
Here's the recipe: (www.visionsofsugarplums.com/2010/05/mayan-mudslide-brownies.html )The few alterations I made: instead of using coffee (I hate coffee) I used a tsp. (I like spicy heat...you might want to alter this )of cayenne pepper and a tsp. of cinnamon. After all ingredients were added and before pouring into the pan, the batter seemed reallllllllllllllllly thick so I added a smidge less than a 1/4 cup of no sugar added pure applesauce. Also, the recipe calls for dulce de leche. I skipped this step because I don't know where I would buy it, and quite frankly? I didn't have any in
the house and was too lazy to go looking around for it in stores. I don't think it will be sorely missed, plus? Calories saved!

No comments:

Post a Comment