Monday, February 7, 2011

Squid Ink Linguine

Sometimes you just want to have a simple meal, but with a smidgey of pizzazz-a-matazz.
What's easier than a pasta dish? Spaghetti itself is easy enough, but for an ultra simple, ultra yummy dish, nothing is easier than linguine aglio e olio (with garlic and oil.) As yummy as it is, I wanted to oomph up the pizzazz factor by using squid ink pasta, as opposed to a standard spaghetti or linguine. Since I am totally obsessed with all things delicious at Ohio City Pasta (http://www.ohiocitypasta.com/), I traipsed to the always wonderful West Side Market (http://www.westsidemarket.org/) and among other things, picked up some squid ink pasta. Oh how pretty it was! (And you know how much pretty counts!) Being someone who does not like the taste of fish or seafood at all, I asked the dude at Ohio City Pasta what it tasted like and he assured me it tasted a little salty and not fish-like at all. SOLD! I bought some and brought it home to my already Ohio City Pasta stocked refrigerator. Hmmmm, what should I do with it? A typical red sauce wouldn't do the pretty black color of the pasta justice. A cream sauce of some sort would look nice with the color of the pasta, but ultimately, I wanted the pasta itself to be the visual centerpiece of the dish, so I decided on a simple aglio e olio preparation.Linguine with aglio e olio is simple enough to prepare from a recipe in your head, but if you need help, there are gobs of recipes out there. I found a fairly highly rated and simple recipe on the Food Network site (www.foodnetwork.com/recipes-food-network-kitchens/spaghetti-with-oil-and-garlic-aglio-et-olio-recipe/index.html)
I had a friend over and he loved the taste of the dish and the novelty of the squid ink pasta.
Mangiamo!

No comments:

Post a Comment